PROJECT POST: Amanda’s Victorian Settee, Part 1

6 Mar

I bought this beautiful Victorian settee for $200 on Craigslist in the summer of 2011. After I’d completed one semester of the Monrovia Adult School Upholstery Class, our wonderful teacher, Donna Martino, gave me the okay to work on this next.

The first thing Donna instructed was to clearly mark each piece of the original upholstery with its location and direction. I kept the original pieces, and will use them as a pattern to cut the new upholstery. Next, I pulled out the welting, and pulled the first layer of staples (I pulled LOTS of staples and tacs) to remove the red velvet and reveal the muslin beneath.

Inside, atop the mildewed old muslin, I found a fine yellow powder–it was the decomposed remains of some foam that had been added during the previous upholstery job.

Advertisements