Before & After: Amanda’s Victorian Settee

1 Mar

image

This is the Before & After post for the Victorian settee I reupholstered in the Monrovia Community Adult School Upholstery Class. I described much of the process in three earlier project posts; this post is just the end-of-project wrap-up.

To Recap: I bought a traditional red Victorian settee on Craigslist with the intention of reupholstering it in a funky fabric. I thought it would be a quick job, but once I got it to class and de-upholstered it, we found that it needed a lot of repair and reinforcement.

I’m not a fan of painting wood furniture that’s in good shape, but this one had numerous patched and filled cracks, which a coat of black paint covered nicely. For the fabric, I chose a charcoal gray baroque print from an upholstery store in the downtown Los Angeles Fabric District. It was tricky to work with, and therefore not as much of a bargain as I’d thought, but after much work, under the guidance of our eminently knowledgeable and infinitely patient teacher, Donna, the settee is finished. The photos below show it in class the day I finished it (better lighting) and in its place in my home office. It’s right beneath a sunny window, and makes a wonderful place to sit and read.

image

image

Advertisements

One Response to “Before & After: Amanda’s Victorian Settee”

  1. Lindsey@BetterAfter July 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm #

    Wow! It turned out fabulously! I would love to take a class like that sometime. Love the fabric you chose too. Beautiful!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: