PROJECT POST: Amanda’s Victorian Settee, Part 1

6 Mar

I bought this beautiful Victorian settee for $200 on Craigslist in the summer of 2011. After I’d completed one semester of the Monrovia Adult School Upholstery Class, our wonderful teacher, Donna Martino, gave me the okay to work on this next.

The first thing Donna instructed was to clearly mark each piece of the original upholstery with its location and direction. I kept the original pieces, and will use them as a pattern to cut the new upholstery. Next, I pulled out the welting, and pulled the first layer of staples (I pulled LOTS of staples and tacs) to remove the red velvet and reveal the muslin beneath.

Inside, atop the mildewed old muslin, I found a fine yellow powder–it was the decomposed remains of some foam that had been added during the previous upholstery job.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: